Translate

Friday 3 May 2013

Day Three on Robin Woods Bowl carving course

Day Three was the consolidation of the other two days work,  I didn't finish my second bowl but roughed it out to finish it later at home.

In this picture you can see the Hans Karlsson bent gouge, adze 
and the Gransfor Axe I used.  The very best kit and razor sharp.

This chisel is one I am looking into getting for my harp making
Martin Hazell demonstrating one of the north American Indian Style Adzes by the Kestral company
This lightweight adze balances perfectly in the hand and makes less tiresome work
Kestral adze side view
Rough profile of double headed bowl
Some of the bowls made by the students on the course


My completed bowl

Robin's bowl carving course teaches you all the hand skills for splitting, cutting, hollowing and shaping
and the safe ways to do this and much more.   For beginners to this way of working the Spoon carving courses are a really good way to start on a smaller scale.   
I had a really enjoyable time in good company and in a fantastic location, just need sometime to unpack what I have learnt and how to use it.   I now have a bent knife blade from Robin that I am making a handle for  and using for a harp re-voicing in a few weeks so I will blog again when I do that!

Day 3 blog course summery taken outside Edale Village hall on the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows phone(thanks to Nokia Conversations for the loan of this device)



No comments: